Omir the Storyteller

Stories. Music. Politics. Technology. Baseball. Friends. Family. Potrzebie.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Omir was very, very good this year

Family :: Christmas

How good was I? Well, I'm not sure, but I must have been pretty darn good, because I got the three things I really wanted for Christmas this year.

First off, I got to sleep in a bit this morning, but that wasn't what I wanted. When everyone finally got up and started stirring this morning, my son came into the kitchen where I was squeezing oranges (fresh-squeezed orange juice being a tradition on Christmas morning in our house) and told me to close my eyes. I dutifully did so as best I could while continuing to squeeze oranges, and when I opened them, there, on the table in front of me, was a hard-shell banjo case just the right size for my GoldTone CC-100. It's a little bigger in the body than it needs to be because it was no doubt designed for a resonator banjo instead of my open-backed clawhammer model, but it's much, much better than the gig bag I've been using for most of the past five years. I've always been worried that I was going to knock the bridge out of place or put a hole in the head when I carried the banjo around in its gig bag; now it's about as secure as I can make it. In addition it has a storage pouch for strings, picks, a fingernail clipper (a necessity in clawhammer) and the tuner (another necessity).

Second, my other son and his wife came over and spent the morning with us, and brought along their daughter (age 3) and son (age about 3 months). It was very nice having all three kids and five grandkids in the house, even if it was a bit noisy.

I had a very nice lunch menu planned out of tamales, fajitas, pico de gallo, chili con queso, seven-layer dip and the mountains of cookies we had baked over the past couple of days. It was coming together quite nicely, if a bit late, when I got my third thing I wanted for Christmas; just before we began serving, it began to snow. I don't know if it's going to stick or how long it will last, but now, for the first time I can remember, I am having a white Christmas.


This is the view out our front window . . .


. . . and out the front door, looking at the neighbor's house across the street.


If you look closely you can see the snowflakes coming down.


This is the view out back, looking over the backyard fence.

So we had family and friends over for dinner, it's snowing in the background, everyone's playing with their presents and it's just about the nicest Christmas you could ask for.

And so I'm offering this simple phrase
For kids from one to ninety-two;
Although it's been said many times, many ways,
Merry Christmas to you.


3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Larry Kollar said...

Hooray for three wishes! It's probably because you don't have a car. :-D

We almost had a white Christmas here, the first I would have ever seen on Planet Georgia, but it only managed to sleet a little before changing over to rain.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Omir the Storyteller said...

Well, the big question is, is it easing up the drought any? I certainly hope so.

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Family Man said...

Glad you got your three wishes Omir!

There's nothing like having all the family around and snow for Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home