Omir the Storyteller

Stories. Music. Politics. Technology. Baseball. Friends. Family. Potrzebie.

Monday, November 27, 2006

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out

Potrzebie

There's this group called WATCH, see, and they publish an annual list of ten dangerous toys for kids. I applaud this sort of thing, actually; I just found it rather interesting that one of the items on this year's list is a bow and arrow set. See, back when I was your age, cowboys and Indians was still a big-time kid game. It wouldn't have been all that surprising to see something like this bow and arrow set appear under a Christmas tree.

Then again, they do include this disclaimer: "Weaponry should not be sold as toys for children." I tend to agree, especially where live weaponry is concerned. I don't advocate giving a kid his first claymore until he's old enough to ask for it.*

Actually, I'm a little conflicted on that one. I agree that toy guns are in general a bad idea these days, unless they're bright orange. Even then they should probably be restricted to families where hunting is a participatory sport, and Jumior gets a plastic deer rifle just like Dad's, only bright orange. On the other hand, one of my grandson's favorite toys is a blow-up cutlass that he loves to engage me in pirate duels with. As a sometime Pastafarian priest, how can I deny him his heritage?

* For the humor impaired who might be reading, that's a joke.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home