Omir the Storyteller

Stories. Music. Politics. Technology. Baseball. Friends. Family. Potrzebie.

Friday, July 22, 2005

They say your dreams reveal your inner self

Potrzebie

I'm not sure if this fact should worry me or not.

I don't always remember my dreams, but I remember dreaming last night that I lost my hat. Now if you know me, you know this is not necessarily unusual. "Do what you do best," that's what I say, and I excel at forgetting where I put things. When I forget that I put them under my seat at Safeco Field until two days later, or that I put them on the bus that just left, that's when things get dicey.

Anyway, last night I dreamt I left one of my baseball caps at the movies. This was a bit unusual in that I left it at a theater in Redmond, and I think the only theater I've ever been to in Redmond was the Bella Botega multiplex, and that only once. So why I dreamed I left it at a theater in Redmond, I don't know. But then, this is a dream.

So, I'm on the bus to go get my hat, and oddly enough, I'm heading across the 520 bridge, but toward Seattle, away from Redmond. And then things take a turn toward the surreal, because next thing I know I'm in front of a multiplex on North Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas. Now keeping in mind that this is a dream, it's still pretty peculiar because:
  • The bus ride from Seattle to Austin would take several days;
  • The last time I was in Austin was 14 years ago;
  • At that time there were no multiplexes on North Congress Avenue, at least the part I was familiar with (between the Capitol and the river);
  • And if someone were to build a multiplex in central Austin, it would not be on North Congress Avenue, which is most likely one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in central Texas.
Anyway, there I was, in one of the back foyers, trying to find a manager to ask about my hat. I was just standing there, minding my own business, when some revelers in what I vaguely remember as Mardi Gras regalia splashed some cold water on me. Up here in Seattle I would have been outraged; down there, I just remember wanting to find a manager after this had happened, but still to ask about the hat. (If you've been in Austin in July you know that a splash of cold water can be a blessing.)

Well, the manager finally shows up. I do a bit of a protest about the water and ask about my hat. She has me follow her down a maze of twisty little passages, all alike . . . and at the end of the maze, she drenches me with ice water.

At that point I woke up and decided to go do something sensible, like work on a router I'm building for my home network.

And the moral of the story, considering that this was all a dream, is probably: A cat can look at a king, but not both. Is it lunchtime yet? Where's my hat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home