Omir the Storyteller

Stories. Music. Politics. Technology. Baseball. Friends. Family. Potrzebie.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

About The Fox And The Stork

Stories::Meta

This week I went back to Aesop. Not because I'm lazy, although I am that and then some. I'd been thinking about this story for a long time, what with the debate on the so-called "nuclear option" and all. I write these stories to promote progressive values, but today's story is also aimed at Republicans in the Senate who want to push the big red button, not that they pay the slightest bit of attention to me. Maybe they'll be able to push through their agenda if they do; maybe not. But someday the Republicans won't be a majority in the Senate any more, and if the Republicans succeed in cutting off filibusters by a simple majority vote, they won't be able to use the filibuster when the Democrats are in charge.

In researching this story last night I found a couple of different morals attached to it. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a popular one. "One bad turn deserves another" was another, although I'm not crazy about that one. I was originally going to use "What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander." It's a fine old expression, dating as far as I can tell back to Shakespeare's time or earlier. (One can never be sure about these things.) But, I ultimately chose "What goes around comes around" because I think it fits the story best. It's the Law of Karma. Not "karma" in the Buddhist sense, but karma as most Westerners think of it: As you sow, so shall you reap.

Thank you for coming by! I'm always happy to see you, and if you liked the story, please say hello. And as always, happy stories until next week.

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omir read your comment on Daily Kos about the reg.for a draft.Also included in the law for 18 yr olds to reg are "All Aliens legal or not"Go to Selective Service System and read that every 18 year old has to register.i enjoyed your site ,and will check it out again, fkaner@bellsouth.net

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Omir the Storyteller said...

Hi Frank,

Thanks for stopping by! That's an interesting find; I wonder how an 18-year-old Mexican citizen would feel about being drafted into the US armed forces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home