Omir the Storyteller

Stories. Music. Politics. Technology. Baseball. Friends. Family. Potrzebie.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

The Wolf and the Dog

Stories

Once upon a time, many years ago when the forests still came right up to the edge of the city, a wolf who lived in the forest was near starvation. Winter had come early and hard, and the wolf had not been able to find enough to eat.

In fact times were getting desparate enough that the wolf had started to venture outside the forest. On one particular cold morning, tired and with his belly growling, he came upon a dog from the city. This dog looked well-fed and reasonably happy. "Hello, cousin," the dog said, "you look like you've fallen on hard times."

"So I have," replied the wolf. "I haven't had a decent meal in a week. The pond I drink from is frozen over and I can't get water out of it. Things ain't lookin' good."

"That's what happens when you don't have a regular source of food," the dog offered. "You know you could work steadily and have your food given to you."

"Really?" the wolf asked, his hunger heightening his attention. "How would I do that?"

"You could work with me. Come, I'll take you to my house"

So the dog and the wolf trotted side by side, until eventually the wolf spotted a worn patch of fur about the dog's neck. "That mark on your neck," the wolf asked. "How's you get that?"

"Oh, that's nothing," replied the dog. "That's where my master puts the collar on me. It chafes a but, but you soon get used to it."

The wolf immediately turned and started trotting back toward the forest.

"Wait!" cried the dog. "I thought you wanted food to eat and water to drink in exchange for work."

The wolf turned back just long enough to call back to the dog, "Better to starve free than to be a fat slave."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home